Friday 11 February 2011

Whitechapel Gallery

John Stezaker

I went to see the John Stezaker exhibition which is currently on display at the Whitechapel Gallery today (and will be until 18/03/11.) After hearing about the exhibition from a friend, I felt I had to go and see Stezaker's work whilst I had the chance, as his practise is very similar to the 'postcard project' we had to complete at the start of term, and this was something I thoroughly enjoyed. The work displayed at the gallery showed a fascinating variety of collages using movie stills, vintage postcards and book illustrations, giving old images a new meaning. The techniques used in his work, such as inverting and slicing, are very simple yet extremely effective. Below are a few images I took inside the gallery, the quality is compromised by the glare of the frames, however you can still see how visually pleasing the work is.
















Keeping it Real: An Exhibition in Four Acts
Act 3: Mona Hatoum: Current Disturbance

'Current Disturbance' by Mona Hatoum, was another exhibition I was able to visit whilst at the Whitechapel gallery. The gallery is full of stacked wire cages. light bulbs and the sound of electric currents, which brighten at irregular times, lighting up the whole room. Although this isn't the sort of art I usually enjoy, the fact it involved both sound and vision drew you in to the piece and captivated you.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment